Wednesday 12 October 2016

Research and Epistimology part 1

Most of the time when I am starting a new brief, I tend to think too much on the outcome. I want it to make a perfect piece that stands out, but I often neglect the importance of research. This is why I have been dreading the idea generating process. Moreover, ideas for animations have to be thought through before making the end product as there is no turning back since animating is a long process. This lecture serves as a reminder for me that the good animation out there are thoroughly researched because they manage to communicate whatever information they want to convey. There is no system of doing a research, but one thing to keep in mind is to venture beyond problem solving into process experiment, and discovery. I often feel that the brief that we get in the Animation course is quite repetitive, but I realised that I have been stuck in my comfort zone when thinking of the solution for the briefs mainly because I think I am doing alright in terms of the grades during my first year. I am starting to reconsider the importance of research and of doing things against my own convention and finding out new possibilities in order to stand out as a professional practitioner in the field of animation.

NOMA BAR is one of the artists that makes me rethink the importance of communicating meaning through visuals.


NOMA BAR - 10sec mixtape1 from Dutch Uncle on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment