Sunday 30 April 2017

Research Proposal: Distilling Ideas

Questions of Interest 

To what extent do the individual politics of professional practitioners impact on the role and function of Animation?

To what extent does Aesthetic ‘Style’ reflect the context, audience and/or function of contemporary Animation?

To what extent has Animation constructed our understanding or view of historical events and perceptions of truth?


The Internet has changed how we perceive things as information flows rapidly and is bombarded at us. At the pace that we are going, people are exhausted with keeping up on current issues, and as a result leads to indifference towards historical events. However, I feel that being engaged with what is happening in the world and take active actions based on personal belief is the responsibility of artists. This is why I am enthralled when I get a chance to go to an animation festival because I get to see different aesthetic 'style' coming from different animation artists comes to reflect their personal belief. I found myself intrigued a handful of contemporary stylised animations that are made by filmmakers on Vimeo which approach narrative storytelling in idiosyncratic way. Different from the Box Office animated movies and animated TV Series. 

For my Context of Practice 3, I would like to research more of the individual practice of these independent creators through looking at interviews online and probably a research on how this genre become popular. I want to look at the audience demographic of this creative culture and compare them with how people used to view avant-garde animation throughout its history. By doing this, I want to convey that there are more possibilities that can be explored in animation as an art form rather than just a form of commercial entertainment.


No comments:

Post a Comment