Wednesday 3 May 2017

Visual Investigation: (Side A) Contextual Studies

To avoid any confusion, I have to clarify that the concertina consist of one sided Visual Investigation, while the other side is used for the Creative Response. Initially, I have no idea on how to start a visual investigation, and the idea of writing it down on the concertina directly scares me a little because I can't erase if I made a mistake. So, I decided to choose to do collage as the main medium to fill up the concertina. The visual investigation that I made outlines the theory revolving the Human Condition and the society that we lived in, mainly inspired by the Frankfurt School critical theorist, Theodor Adorno. It then moves on into selected pieces of stills from Persepolis. It was indeed the animation that I analysed in the essay because it coherently explained a close-minded society, which is closely relatable even for those who lived in a developed country. 

The succeeding illustration in the concertina also explain the basic human need to express ourselves. The quotes throughout the visual investigation, unless otherwise specified, were obtained, deconstructed and pieced together with images came from Stan VanderBeek's poem 'Re:Vision' that I have obtained from his portfolio website about the significance of cinema as an art form. 

The last segment of side A in the concertina investigates the synesthesia using colours, forms and textures from different styles of experimental animations, still accompanied by texts from VanderBeek's poem which gives description of the thought process that leads to motion pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment