Monday 2 October 2017

COP3 Week 1: Presentation Follow Ups

After the presentation, I have clearer ideas of where am I going with COP 3! I have decided that my essay focus will be on animated performance because I definitely feel more passionate doing a research on the topic as compared to the rest of my ideas. I have also received reading suggestions to kick start the research.

Here are some of them:
-Acting for Animators by Ed Hooks
-Animated Performance by Nancy Beiman
-Funny Pictures: Animation & Comedy in Studio-era Hollywood

Animated performance are usually caricatures of everyday life. It takes inspiration from slapstick comedians from the silent film era such as Charlie Chaplin, the Three Stooges, Harold Lloyd, Jacques Tati, and many more.

Hmm hmm hmm Monsieur Hulot agrees

A classmate also suggested that I can compare and contrast theatrical plays from oriental cultures, such as traditional chinese opera, kabuki, wayang shadow puppetry, etc. I can potentially look at how they influence a specific aesthetic of the animation originated from different places which could also help to specify my research topic even more.

Chinese Opera

Kabuki

Wayang




No comments:

Post a Comment